Playing the Short Game: How to Market & Sell Your Short Fiction - This event has already occurred
Tuesday, April 28, 2020 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Upcoming Dates:Tuesday, May 5, 2020 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
438 Park Ave. Newmarket, Ontario, Canada L3Y 1W1
View on Google Maps
Each session of the program will be presented online. Registration is required. On the day of each session, registrants will receive an email with login instructions for the online session.
April 21 - Playing the Short Game #1: How to Market & Sell Short Fiction: This workshop will give you critical advice on how to sell your short stories to professional markets and to build a career as a short fiction writer. Topics covered include:
- Rights and licensing for short fiction
- A strategy for selecting your target markets
- Finding short fiction markets
- Selecting the right market
- Submitting short fiction to a market
- What not to do when submitting
- What to do after submitting
April 28 - Playing the Short Game #2: You Sold a Story! Contracts, Editing, & Reality: This workshop takes a writer from when they learn an editor wants to buy their story to after it's published and the reviews start coming.
- Understanding how editors and slush piles work
- Why editors choose or reject stories
- What to look (and look out) for in short fiction contracts, and how to ask for changes
- How to work with an editor during the editing process for your story
- How to handle rejections and reviews
- How much promotion is reasonable when you sell a story
- Cool things that might happen: Awards, best of anthologies,…and even movies
May 5 - Playing the Short Game #3: How to Make Your Short Fiction Work for You: this workshop focuses on the phase in a short story writer's career when they've established themselves and have built up a backlist of published short fiction.
This workshop explains the many ways a successful short fiction writer can leverage their own inventory of published stories, as well as other aspects of an established short fiction writer's life.
- Leveraging your backlist
- Selling reprints
- Selling in foreign languages
- Selling audio rights
- Publishing a collection
- The indie option for short fiction
- Discoverability tools and promotion for established writers
- Career progression in short fiction
- Arts and Music
Visit our Locations and Hours page for parking locations by the library.
- Playing the Short Game: How to Market & Sell Your Short Stories